Tuesday, October 12, 2010

No Homo? Seriously...GROW UP!


A coworker recently introduced me to the term "No Homo". Apparently, it's a way for guys to say nice things about each other, while letting the other know that although they are saying nice things they do NOT want to make monkey love. Seriously? Want to get caught up, click here.
Of course, I did what any self-respecting internet addict would do: I searched for "no homo" on Twitter. Everyone knows, if it isn't happening on Twitter, it just isn't happening at all. The results were one part hysterical, one part terrible, and more than anything, a fascinating view of a live web discussion on what can only be seen as another case of homophobia seeping into pop culture.
I, personally, am no fan of homophobia. It disturbs me deeply, and anyone who uses this term WITHOUT IRONY are ignorant douchebags. ( I say that, because my coworkers and I have spent the last two days ending each IM with NO {insert descriptor here} depending on the preceding statement, and it hasn't gotten old yet!!!) HOWEVER, this is not about bashing the ignorant, this is about the conversation.
Here are some of my FAVORITE twitter "NO HOMO" quotes:

"I expected a better performance from *... I still fux wid em tho no homo" - um that's pretty homo.
"ol I wana hang out wit him more often no homo." - guys that hang out with other guys are all homos? Noted.
"LOL gotta explain to * that when a person says no homo that means they eitha just said something homo or about to say something homo" - yes, that's EXACTLY what it means.

AND MY FAVORITE: "when people say "no homo" all I hear is "i'm definitely gay"" Well said!

My favorite posts are the ones where people mock the term and those who use it. Several posts use it quite inappropriately. For example, shouldn't the kid who said "No Homo" after sending his brother some love, actually written "No Incest"? Or the uber-fan of My Little Pony ended his tweet with "No Bestiality"? Think about it! If you're gonna use it, use it correctly. The only thing worse than being ignorant is being DUMB and IGNORANT! That's just not fixable.
What do you think? Do you use the term? Do guys really think it gay when another guy says something nice to them? If a statement could be construed as gay, wouldn't it just be better to use different words to express yourself? Is it a sign of a problem that the second I hear a new term, I immediately go to Twitter and spend the next hour reading people's crazy-assed tweets?
Inquiring mind(s) wanna know!

No comments: