Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Scabs

What is it about peeling scabs? I know I shouldn't...the tender new skin that is forming below is still to thin, and prone to pain. I know it should be left alone...but the scab, all crusty and raised, is an unacceptable blight against the skin. It would be so easy...sooo very easy to scrape a nail under the edge. With a flick, the unsightly mound of dried up goo would be gone, and then I could see what was hidden underneath. Maybe it has healed. Maybe...
I've had an emotional scab growing over a wound for 3 days now. I know this scab is dulling the pain, and keeping me from doing greater damage to my still tender soul. It makes it possible to do other things, like write. Every day that thickened shield keeps the tears at bay, and allows me to reach outside of my little world to reconnect with friends from which I'd become quite isolated. And yet, here I sit, ready to peel it off. Just run the tip of my finger over the phone's touch screen. 3 simple touches and the wound would be exposed again. Maybe my soul has healed enough to endure this exposure? I know better. I know to leave it alone. I do. I'm so not ready. It's too soon. I know this. Fuuuuuuck.
Better sleep on it. Thursday, bring it. - night.

No comments: